[at-l] "Stoves" and thruhiking --- LONG

Can't argue with anything Jim wrote in his stoves write-up...  But, the
analysis might look different done from a solo perspective...

For example, on the AT, I only cooked one meal a day, and that was just to
boil 2 cups maximum of water.  I also didn't cook during town stops which
can be quite frequent on the AT.  Turns out, I only cooked about 70 - 80
times total on my hike...  no breakfasts or hot drinks and fewer hot meals
during the incredibly hot and dry summer of '99.

FWIW, I have no problems bringing two cups of water to a rolling boil in
less than 8 minutes (needs a windscreen) with Esbit tabs which  continue
burning another 7 minutes or so.  I would continue to use Esbit tabs on long
hikes where I had maildrops but they aren't commonly available en route so
are impractical unless you do have mail drops.

I do have an MSR XGK II at home but no longer see a reason to use it except
for true winter hiking/mountaineering.  I don't have nearly the experience
with the other stoves that Jim commented on so won't offer any practical
experience/advice there.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99