Re Esbits: [at-l] "Stoves" and thruhiking --- LONG

At 09:41 AM 12/28/01 -0500, Mara Factor wrote:
>FWIW, I have no problems bringing two cups of water to a rolling boil in
>less than 8 minutes (needs a windscreen) with Esbit tabs which  continue
>burning another 7 minutes or so.

I wonder if it's a function of the fuel?  Bearbag and Trailboss used trioxe
for cooking for two and were quite pleased.  Also, someone asked if
esbit fuel "gets old".  I bought a case from Skyline in a group buy deal.
(I was figuring on switching to esbits during the hot months of my thru)
and am using them occasionally, but not frequently enough to notice
a degradation.  However, I was warned against buying Mil surplus trioxe
fuel tabs because many had been stored for months in superhot desert
conditions during Desert Storm and had degraded.  I keep my stash temp
stable just in case.