Re[2]: [at-l] Cold weather hiking

"...)Iodine tabs rather than Polar Pure or other liquids. Bleaching still works,
but is just very slow;"

 It's my understanding that iodine takes at least 8 hours to be effective when
 the water is near freezing temperature.

  I tend to make do with boiling -- usually on an open campfire-- though it's my
  theory that giardia cysts settle to the bottom in cold weather and if you
  scoop water from a hole punched in the ice it's pretty safe.

  But then I drink untreated water that "looks" safe year round. So far I
  haven't gotten sick. But no one should take my advice. I have no independent
  knowledge, just what I've read and experienced.

  Weary