[at-l] ends jusfifying the means????

Snodrog5@aol.com
>In reference to MF's contention that the reason for welfare is to garner
>the recipiants votes, I disagree. The poor don't vote. (Most Americans
>don't vote, but that's another story.) I think census figures say the
>'average' voter is white, female, college grad, income 70K+, and 50+ in
>age. I might have that wrong, I read it in the paper. :O)
>TJ

Really??? The poor don't vote?  What city do you live in that doesn't have
any poor?

Sorry, TJ, but there have been elections in Baltimore where the poor have
voted early and often.  1988 I think it was - a lot of them were picked up
at home and taken to the polls, handed $5 for "lunch" - and then shepherded
through the process by individual "helpers" who were even so kind as to
enter the voting booth with them and "help" them to "vote the right way".
Well, maybe you're right - maybe they don't vote - but somebody sure does -
and they get the credit.

Oh, yeah - the $5?  Came from the Governors campaign fund if memory serves.
But you can check that for yourself - someone wrote a book about that
election although I'd have to hunt down the title - I can probably even hunt
down the names of some of the Ward captains -

Or maybe you'd rather talk about Washington, DC or Philadelphia or NYC or LA
or Houston or ... pick a city - any city.

Hey - thanks for the laugh.

Walk softly,
Jim