Re[2]: [at-l] Fords

"...caught a ride with Jo Jo's friend or husband?"

 Or perhaps both friend and husband. It happens sometimes. The East Branch of
 the "Pleasant" river can be hairy at times -- like the spring we built the new
 lean-to. The only way I could get across carrying big sheets of aluminum for
 the roof was to wade the chest high dead water a few hundred yards up stream,

 The West Branch can also be difficult. I once rescued a jeep that tried a ford
 and failed. I shouted to him that the stream was too deep to drive across. But
 he went anyway. I watched as the hood finally sunk below the surface of the
 water. Out of "sympathy" or maybe "compassion" (which is it OB) we pulled him
 out; found an old bucket to drain the oil and water from his crankcase, skimmed
 the oil off the top of the water and reinstalled it, and after a lot of pushing
 got him running on one cylinder for home.

 The next day our truck broke down. We walked nine miles to the nearest phone
 and called with a simple message: "it's time to repay the favor." He showed up
 four hours later with an array of ignition parts and eventually we all got
 home.

 Weary