[at-l] (no subject) Altimeter watches

I've used them off and on for a few years and have a Casio Forester now.
They are fun and have some usefulness. The ones with a barometer function
can aid in weather prediction. The altimeter is reasonably accurate but
isn't a precision instrument. Most are graduated in increments of around
20-40 feet. If you reset it to the correct elevation at known points
regularly it can help you find your location on a topo map. But it works
by measuring air pressure, so as the weather changes the displayed
elevation will go up or down accordingly. I am a land surveyor and use
mine for approximate elevation and orientation at times. But keep in mind
there is a lot more to orientation than matching an known elevation on a
topo, even if the watch elevation is correct. If you need a new watch go
ahead and buy it, they're a lot of fun. Get one that allows you to easily
correct the elevation. A barometer is a must and a grafting function is
nice to.

woodelf