Fwd: [at-l] (no subject) Altimeter watches

woodelf@juno.com wrote:
>I've used them off and on for a few years and have a Casio Forester now.
>They are fun and have some usefulness. The ones with a barometer function
>can aid in weather prediction. The altimeter is reasonably accurate but
>isn't a precision instrument. Most are graduated in increments of around
>20-40 feet. If you reset it to the correct elevation at known points
>regularly it can help you find your location on a topo map. But it works by
>measuring air pressure, so as the weather changes the displayed elevation
>will go up or down accordingly. I am a land surveyor and use mine for
>approximate elevation and orientation at times. But keep in mind there is a
>lot more to orientation than matching an known elevation on a topo, even if
>the watch elevation is correct. If you need a new watch go ahead and buy
>it, they're a lot of fun. Get one that allows you to easily correct the
>elevation. A barometer is a must and a grafting function is nice to.

woodelf -
I had an Avocet for a while - used it in Colorado and Montana and it was
consistently accurate to about 20'.  Close enough for navigation purposes.
But it was "delicate" - it broke, I sent it to be fixed, it broke, I sent it
to be fixed, it broke ---- finally gave up and got a Suunto.  It wasn't as
accurate, but again it was close enough for navigation on the CDT and PCT.
And it had a lot of neat features - like elevation logging at 10' intervals.
  That worked well for about 5,000 miles, then it went screwy and I stopped
trusting it.

They may not do the job for surveying work, but for navigation, they'll do
fine --- IF you need it.  On the AT, you don't need it - it's a toy.  But
then, on the AT so is a compass.

Walk softly,
Jim