poundage and pounding miles ... Re: [at-l] pt 1: A question of money

--- Katrx@aol.com wrote: I am 5'4"
> and normally weigh 114 lbs. Before going GA to ME, I gained 20
> extra pounds. It was a good thing, as I weighed 104 lbs when I
got to VT. <then added calories with the miles...>

### I weighed 150 lbs through most of high school, and *tried*
to gain weight before the AT. Although I went up to 155, I think
I started the AT at 150. QUICKLY dropped weight and stayed
around 140-145 through maybe northern VA (generally suffering),
then just 140 (stacking up 20 and 25 mile days, and loving it),
then 136 by Connecticut. (I'm 6'1", by the way....)

After planning out the rest of the trip via PO food supplys, I
stayed at 136 through the end, marching monster miles (only one
hit 30, btw...), and was just having a tumultuously good time.

I went straight from the trail to freshman year college life
(and an AYCE cafe), and saw my weight jump from
    136 on arrival, to
    165 after 30 days, to
    175 after 60 days, to
    182 after 75? days.

Then one morning I stepped down out of the shower and visibly
bounced in the mirror. Phreaked me out. By Christmas, I was back
around 150-160, and generally stayed under 155 for the next 15
years. (Let's not talk about the 190+ that happened next,
though. Sheesh.)

BTW, hiking this summer with Dem Smallboys(c), we eached gained
three pounds over those three weeks. And it stuck. Good on them;
I don't know about me..... But ffffffood is good.

<160,
Sloetoe

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!