[at-l] Sixty Years Ago today

Just a message to reflect on the events of sixty years
ago.

"A Day the will live in infamy". Whatever your
political leanings may be, the sixtieth anniversary of
Pearl Harbor seems esp. poignant after the events of
Sept 11th.

Americans were shocked at an attack on 'our soil'.
The idea of the Atlantic and the Pacific as a big moat
shielding the country from foreign troubles was no
longer something that Americans thought of. A sleeping
giant awoke, and the rest is history.

On Sept. 11th, the world view of America was again
changed.  Even the Oklahoma City bombing did not
change the way Americans thought. As with Pearl
Harbor, Sept. 11th has brought us into a new conflict.
Where Americans before thought they were safe behind
their country's borders, now they are sometimes afraid
to open their mail.

So just an e-mail to reflect on the events on sixty
years ago, and how it is still relevant to us today.
As the generation that survived the depression and
fought the second world war leaves us, it is even more
important not to forget the sacrifices they made so we
have the luxury to argue about what we can do with our
oil resources, national parks, etc.

OK..enough going off on a (historical) tangent. :-)

=====