[at-l] Hikin' toenails

I used to have that problem. (Lost toenails are a hiking badge of honor, or
so I was once told.) I asked on this list and rcvd several suggestions - one
of which worked perfectly.

I was told to lace my boots tightly through the grommets/eyelets and then
tie a permanent knot at that point.  After this, lace the remainder of the
boot normally.

The tight lacing and the knot keep my foot from sliding forward on the
downhills and kept my toes from banging into the front of the toe box.  I
haven't lost a toe nail since.

Al (Draggin' Anchor)