[at-l] Feb on AT - Are crampons necessary?

I found sticking the spikes into a closed cell mat was the best way to
carry them. Another option would be to use a scrap of mat used for a
seat. A non-LNT method (and heavier) would be to step on some bark and
impale them into it as a carrier.

Using the closed cell mat let me use the straps to help wrap the mat
and attach it to my backpack. Since I never got the chance to use them
(got 30 inches of snow and no ice), I never dealt with the problem of
carrying the closed cell mat while the straps kept the crampons on my
feet.

Bill...