[at-l] Trail Name

In a message dated 11/19/01 1:41:27 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
hopefl@juno.com writes:

> Oh, that first thru hiker I met, he yogied me out of everything I had!!!

I might have recounted this years ago - but the first "trail magic" I
participated in, I had no idea what I was doing.  Toney and I had been camped
at Tye River, doing some climbing at Ravens Roost for the weekend.  We
stopped in Waynesboro on our way home to eat pizza, and ended up with some of
it left.  We took it with us.  We went by Rockfish Gap Outfitters (I don't
remember why now, we may have needed something or we may have just been there
to drool) and there were these two scruffy people out front, w/ packs resting
next to the wall.  One of them went inside before we had parked.  Toney said
"Lets offer them this pizza" and I was saying something like "Why the hell
would two strangers take leftover pizza from someone they don't know??" when
he said "Hey, would you like this? There are a few slices left" and the chick
was practically on top of us to take that pizza box out of Toneys hand.  Then
she said, "When you go in, you'll see my hiking partner.  Wait 4 minutes
before you tell him we have pizza out here." and grinned really big.

It wasn't until I joined this list, and met more thru hikers, that I realized
why she took leftover pizza from strangers.  Toney, having grown up in this
area, including Erwin, took thru hikers for granted - knew what they were
doing, where they were going, and, apparently, about their appetites :)  (and
also, of course, already was dreaming of a thru hike).  I had, just that
weekend, stepped foot on the AT for the first time, just found out about what
it was, and had no concept.

I'm glad someone wanted those leftovers. I'd be even happier if I knew their
names - but at the time, it was a weird occurrence, and it wasn't until after
we were headed home to Va Beach that I found out why he offered it in the
first place, or why they accepted it - and I really didn't understand it, at
the time.  I do now :)

The Redhead

multipart/alternative
  text/html