[at-l] Hydration systems?

 Chuck Kichline wrote:

> >I'm thinking I should have a "hydration system" that might be more modern
and lighter than a couple of bottles.  How big is big enough?  How big is
TOO big?  I'm interested in the MSR system because it has the screw cap that
would fit on the bottom of my filter, and should make things easier<<

You'll get a wide range of opinions on this question.  This is a question
for which the answer that is driven by how, where, when, etc you hike and by
how you think, feel, etc about things.

I have used Nalgene (3.9 oz), soda bottles, (0.9 oz), and Platypus (1.0
oz) -- in that order, historically.

For me, I could go with either the soda bottles, or the Platypus -- in the
future.  I would not go back to the Nalgene.  If costs are big drivers for
you, go with the soda bottles -- IMHO.

I think that in actual practice I, myself personally, do a better job of
staying hydrated with the Platy -- albeit with a little more discipline (or
with out trekking poles) there is no reason I couldn't sip my way along the
trail just as easily with the soda bottles.

Considerations (IMHO):

If you use a soda bottle, be sure you carry it where you can take a sip w/o
much effort and w/o stopping.  A belt holster and some pack's water bottle
pockets work well.  If you have to stop to drink, you will dehydrate.

IMHO, if you go with a Platy, carry a couple, or three, one liter bags,
rather than a large one.  I tried a large one initially.  I had problems
packing it w/o having the pack (G4) out of balance -- either when the bag
was full, or later as I drank the weight down.  Also BTW, don't pack the bag
to the back of the pack, as I often see.  Get that weight-density near your
back.  Another "problem" I had w/ the one large bag was I was always
thinking/wondering/worrying about how much water I had left.  Seldom passed
a water source w/o stopping and removing my pack to check how much water was
left.  Now I have a good idea what is back there.

Again, how much is enough is a very personal question.  Different folk drink
far different amounts.  I carry three one liter bags -- albeit I often only
fill one when I expect reliable water within a half day.  One of the most
common questions, which long distant AT hikers ask each other when they
meet, is "How/where is the next water?"  Generally, along the AT you will
have a good fix on the next water source and can adjust accordingly.

BTW -- I rigged a Platy cap w/ hose directly to my pump for ease of filling.
Earlier, I had converted a "sport cap" from a soda bottle to help fill them.

Chainsaw