[at-l] Backpacking Books for Women and stuff

In a message dated 11/8/01 12:12:46 AM Central Standard Time,
DaRedhead@aol.com writes:

> I guess I was trying to say that if you leave for a thru hike within the
> standard window, you aren't going to be alone, therefore the safety issue
> (of
> a woman hiking alone) really isn't an issue.  As I think I said (but I
> could
> be wrong) hiking at other times of the year might require more thought and
> concern, if you are a woman hiking alone.

Red,
I got what you meant, In my hilljack way I was challenging your logic.
If the danger is from people, the more people the greater the danger. Thus
hiking alone when there are few on the trail is safer for male or female. I
agree many of us feel safer when there are folks around but all of the
attacks on hikers that I know of [and that's not all that have happened I'm
sure] have been during the seasons with the highest number of folks on the
Trail.
Like GMC and Mara and you too, I think there is very little difference
between the sexes in preparation, or special issues. Although I think many
female type new hikers feel more comfortable conversing with or reading the
works of someone who speaks the same language. Even when I'm feeling my
feminine side I don't speak girl well at all, just ask my wives.
Plum'Crazy

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---