[at-l] Hello, Goodbye, I don't know why...

> Weary isn't surprised.  I am.  He just got it going again and had put a
> tremendous amount of work into it.  I didn't think he'd quit that easily
> after investing that much time and money.

I wasn't surprised either - it's called burnout.  Working as hard as he did,
day in and day out, staring into a cathode ray tube, can do some squirrely
things to one's mind.  It's just not healthy.

>  He needs a vacation to get
> perspective.  I suggested that to him several years ago

Several people who know him have been saying this for some time now.  This is
not a new problem with Dan, it just finally exacerbated itself.

> but he was locked
> into feeling indispensible.

A dangerous personality flaw for anyone.

>  It's sad to see someone crash and burn from
> their own overenthusiasm.

Yes, it is.

I may have come on a little strong this morning suggesting that some folks
would be happy to see his site shut down, and to say he damned the hiking
community.  But I am part of the community who participated on his list for
years and also when no one else was(on ATML while he was working on the new
websites)and followed his rules of engagement.  And have elsewhere heard and
read rhetoric which is highly critical of WF that suggests to me that some
would indeed be glad he has shut down, so now that I think about it,  I guess
maybe I wasn't coming on too strong at all.

I will say thank you to WF for all his good work for the AT over the years and
to wish him well in whatever he decides to pursue.

Ron