[at-l] I HATE my Whisperlite

You can't.

You can disconnect the tank, at which point the tank is compact. Make sure you
dribble the few drops of condensed gas in the line somewhere safe. Now the
dribbling should be done. Slide the legs of the stove itself around the burner
and hook the gas line around the legs onto the burner. This is as compact as it
gets. Fold the sooty windscreen and put with the stove in a gallon sized zip
lock, soot proof. Throw in the repair kit if you want.

Or you can leave the tank connected to the stove and throw the whole thing into
your pack with a rubber band snugging the zip-lock around the stove to soot and
dribble proof it.

Deal with the pot separately.

Or you can go over to Esbit and alcohol. Took me around 5 years too. Still, for
winter camping, it is a good stove. What I can't get over is that it is put out
by Mountain SAFETY Research. C-4 is safer for cooking.

Hope this helps.

- Gary from Fairfax