[at-l] Remaing Old Growth in Maine, WV, East

--- DTimm65344@aol.com wrote:
> I was in Yellowstone for the first time this summer

Yes, I was just in Yellowstone, too!  It was very
lovely where the fire zones were recovering, and I
enjoyed the burned areas a great deal.

I was also amazed at the various types of fires that
even a layperson can distinguish out on a walk...in
other words, I was hiking in southern California on
the PCT last year and saw several burned areas, all in
various stages of recovery.  You could see the results
of a healthy fire:  wildflowers galore and a few
larger trees scorched but recovering.  But an
unhealthy burned area had blackened rocks, scorched
earth and only a few thin weedy plants growing.  The
land had died in a massive fire.  Some fires are good,
some aren't.