[at-l] Remaing Old Growth in Maine, WV, East

--- Ronald Moak <ronm@fallingwater.com> wrote:
> I believe you mean < 1% of the original virgin
> eastern forest. In any case while there is a lack of
virgin forest, there isn't a lack of forest. It is
> highly probable that there is more forest land on
> the east coast today than 150 years ago

Yes, by "original eastern forest" I meant original,
untouched, virgin forest.  Also, another reason there
is more forested land and a greater number of trees
today is that there used to be less, or no, control of
natural and man-made fires, which act to limit forest
growth.  In fact, back to the time of Native
Americans, humans have burned brush and woods out on
purpose.  Nowadays, a lot of old farms and natural
grasslands have been allowed to grow into forests,
both for the benefit of people and the
benefit/detriment of natural species, depending.
Also, a lot of the forests that grow up in place of
the old growth, as well as the plantations created and
managed by lumber companies, are denser and hold more
timber.

I wasn't attempting to argue or debate about the
merits or problems with the modern forestry industry.
I just wanted to point out that forestry happens, has
happened for a while now and there is little left of
the original forest.  That PATC paper is pretty
amazing.

I happen to be fascinated with finding those little
hidden patches of old growth, just to see how it used
to be.  I still have my mind on that patch in Baxter!

Nocona