[at-l] Re: AT Shelters at Katahdin REMOVED

In a message dated 10/31/01 9:44:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Snodrog5@aol.com writes:

> The two small AT shelters at Daicey Pond are gone. First step in Baxter's
> big
> plans for dealing with the Thru-hiking 'special interest group.'

   *** Why don't they replace them with 2 10 person shelters? I'm sure ATC
would offer to build them.

  > are cutting a new trail-preliminarily called the Blueberry
> Ledges Trail-       that will cut four miles off the distance from Abol
> Bridge to Katahdin Stream
> Campground where the AT Shelters will be relocated. I know there's an old
> tote road that connects with the old Grassy Pond Trail, and I bet that's
> the
> new route. "That won't be a reroute of the AT," Ranger X says, "we can't do
> that."

   ***The existing trail was routed to include all the land features it was
designed to incorporate. To make an overture intended as a hint to remove
these features is kind of insensitive and even downright backwards. Surely
the Park isn't redesigning the concept of AT to suit a bureaucracy? What sin
has the AT committed besides functioning well at what it was intended for?
The trail is probably meant to give the rangers more leverage to turn hikers
back to Abol at their "discretion".

 Ranger X also is of the opinion that Thruhikers are a 'special

> interest' group expecting the Park to accommodate them even when there's no
> room. "We can't do that, if we let them in when the Park is full, we'd
> couldn't close it to anyone, could we?" Ranger X is of the opinion that the
> 12 hiker limit will be strictly enforced, no more 'extra spots just for
> them
> at the group camping areas'.

    *** I don't see where the pressure is to not squeeze in 10 more people on
a multi thousand acre mountain of vast open space? The Park is going to have
reconcile that the AT necessarily terminates on the prevailing land feature
known as Mt. Katahdin. People heading to that goal come up the Trail and are
forced to climb it to culminate a grand adventure. Is that a devious
intention?
    I have dealt with a Park authority before with the AT and found them to
be overly restrictive where it wasn't really necessary. They tend to deal
with the Trail as just another user knocking on their door and tend to go
right to the rule book without considering the broader consideration the
Trail necessarily entails. This is just another sign of the times when the AT
is treated like an unwanted guest by the hosts it partnered with for years.
   A "special interest group" is a corporation seeking to turn an otherwise
unfavorable scenario to their favor (like oil drilling in pristine
wilderness). It's a travesty bordering on contempt to apply this disparaging
terminology to those wanting to use what Baxter bought the land for in the
first place. I wonder what Baxter would think of it?
    This seems to be inside manipulation of the system for political purposes
with upset managers taking advantage of their authority. Park employees tend
to see the problem in a myopic, insider way where the mundane chore of
dealing with daily procedures and oversight becomes a burden. The glorious
aspect of the Trail then gets overlooked.  If the profile of AT users has
changed and abuses need to be curtailed, OK, but let's not take draconian
measures that only serve to comfort Park authorities at huge expense to the
Trail. I think the Trail community should be involved. It appears Park
members are referring to a preferred negative stereotype of AT user.
    If officials would do the same for projects like Saddleback coming up on
the ridges to bring machinery, development, and thousands of people to the
ridgetop the situation would be much better improved. I can't imagine how a
few extra AT hikers would impose such a tremendous burden. In fact, with the
popularity of the Trail today, I would expect a public referendum to expand
the AT hiker quota at Baxter would pass. Silly and unnecessary vindictiveness
I think...

>  Of
> course dozens of thruhikers bootlegged into the Park, dodging Rangers,
> stealth camping, night hiking, and so on.

    *** I can't endorse this -but I really don't blame them either...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---