[at-l] "Endurance" etc. was Speaking of Shackleton...

--- Nina Baxley <infpeace@yahoo.com> wrote:
> check out "In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathaniel
> Philbrick.

Gosh, Nina!  Coincidences abound.  I read "In the
Heart of the Sea" two weeks ago and, literally, stayed
up all night to read it.  Very good book.

Another recommendation (aside from "The Long Walk," by
Rawicz, that I bet most of you have heard of) is
"Follow the River" by James Alexander Thom.  It's a
true story of Mary Ingles, a pregnant mother and wife,
23 years old, who was captured by Indians in the 1700s
and taken captive near her pioneer home in the
Virginia Appalachians (not far from the AT).  The
Indians took her as a slave to an Indian village near
present-day Cincinnati, Ohio, and she decided to
escape.  She walked all the way home following the
Ohio and New Rivers where no white people had yet
been.

No ice or sea, but a great hiking story.

Nocona