[at-l] Boots vs Shoes

Ian,

I have spent thirty or so years hiking in "boots" ranging from combat boots
to expedition boots. I recently tried "shoes" after talking with Nimblewill
at some length about his experiences hiking in New Balance trail runners. I
may never go back to boots again....

I will grant that boots have their place and I will probably wear them for
winter hiking in deep snow, but we are talking expedition boots here, as in
plastic shell, insulated. I will resist hiking in leather boots until
conditions get so bad I have to haul out the plastic ones! Well maybe...but
you get the point.

I am not going to throw away my Vasques or Danners, but they see a lot less
trail wear these days. The last three times I've been out (read last
weekend, the weekend before and the weekend before that) I wore the Merrell
Terrator trail runners I recently purchased. The last time I was this
comfortable on the trail was in a pair of Nike "boots". That was back when
Nike boots were still more like "sneakers".

Nimblewill did go through several pair of trail runners on his last thru
hike. Most people I have heard from go through several pair of "boots" also.
I think this is something you need to experience for yourself. There are
several brands of trail runners available for around fifty dollars. Buy one
and wear it everywhere for a week, then do a twenty mile hike in them. Then
YOU decide.

Lee I Joe