[at-l] Silly hikers

If it were my decision I would abandon all regulations
aimed at
protecting
hiker safety on mountains like Katahdin, Rainier and
Denali. I would
also
eliminate all rescue crews. If we choose to take risks
we should also
choose to
accept the consequences of those risks and not risk
others as a result
of our
choices.

 ***Weary, you make a good point and I think I
agree...I don't particularly want others to get hurt
helping me..sure would cut down on the silliness one
sees on the trail, well maybe...This summer on
Standing Indiana, O'Henry and I ran into a woman who
had a giant bundle of climbing rope slung around her.
She also had 4 kids ranging in age from 13 to 5..the
littlest girl was clutching a doll...no food, water,
dry clothing, raingear etc was in evidence...just the
dang rope. She said to us where is the parking lot?
O'Henry and I were mistified as she was coming from
the north the opposite direction of the only parking
lot we knew of...we asked her ahhh duh what parking
lot she said ....I DON"T KNOW....now this woman was
truelly nuts to be out there and they had been hiking
for 4 hours and had no idea where they were...we sent
her to the parking lot we knew aobut cuz some friends
of ours had just headed down there and we knew that
there would be people there to help her....heard later
that these friends had driven her 60 MILES to her
car...that's a Darwin award waiting to happen..

anyway, thanks for your thoughts weary,
ms kink