[at-l] Doctor's Orders

My Doctor (an orthopedic/sports medicine surgeon) has ordered me to take a
two or three day hike -- sigh, so I guess I'll just have to get out -- again
;-)}

On a serious note, however, I thought I ask the list, if any of you have had
experiences similar to mine.

My right knee has been bothering me on prolonged downhills.

Last month the walk down from Lone Pine Peak to John's Creek Valley (4000
down to 2100, in about 1 1/2 miles), Kelly Knob to Singing Creek
alley( 3700 to 2100 in about 4 miles), and Singing Creek Mountain to Craig
Creek Valley (3500 to 1500 in about 3 miles) caused considerable tighten in
my right knee and some pain.  Repented stretching relieved the tightening,
temporally, but I am worried about what is going wrong.

OTOH, yesterday I did about eight miles of short ups and downs w/o a
problem.  Also, during last month hike the uphills and more level walking
caused no problem.

So, I saw the Doctor today.  (Took a while to get an appointment.) He wants
to do some experimenting w/ another cortisone shot and a practical test.  He
says the knee is stable and its motion is good.  There is some
hyperextension, but I don't remember any significant hyperextension during
the hike.  There was no acute pain, no catching or clicking, and no
significant swelling on these prolonged downhills.  We know I have some
arthritis and there is some of that crinkly crunching -- what the hey I'm
61.

Had the shot and will take the walk.  But thought I poll the list for ideas.

Chainsaw