[at-l] Re: Toughest hikes/sections

I suspect your perception of the approach trail is influenced by where you
regularly hike...  If you regularly hike in the mountains of NH and ME, then
you will probably find the approach trail rather nice (except for the road
walk portion going to the top of the falls).  I know I enjoyed it when I
started my thruhike.

But, then a lot of hikers also thought the last bit climbing to the top of
Albert Mountain was hard and couldn't imagine doing that for a few thousand
feet.  That little section is pretty representative of long stretches of
trail while hiking in the Whites.

As for the toughest stretches I encountered on the AT?  I have bad knees and
probably shouldn't be hiking at all.  The only time my knees really hurt
were during the the descents off Madison and Katahdin.

As always, YMMV,

Mara
Stitches, GAME99