[at-l] Wolf memories (was ham supper and wolves)

I met a couple of wolf mixes on the AT.  The first was at the Braemar Castle
in VA.  Here's what I wrote in my journal on 5/6/99:

"Beverly and Sutton Brown, the owners, paid us a visit with their children
and their gray wolf/shepherd mix. The children were loud and out of control,
as many 18 month olds and 4 1/2 year olds are. The "dog" was beautiful and
quite calm, though distant around the kids. Beverly and Sutton are well
aware of the capabilities of their pet, and keep close watch when the kids
are around the dog."

They have other wolves, too, but the others weren't brought into the house -
at least while we were there.

I'm pretty sure I met a man out hiking with his wolf mix - probably in ME
but I don't think I noted that in my journal.

In both cases where I had the chance to actually meet the animal, they were
both very calm.  The owners all seemed committed to the animals and were
well aware of the special needs attached to owning wolf mixes.

Thanks for bringing up some great memories.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

P.S.  My journal's on-line at http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor