Re[2]: [at-l] More on the Maine Woods

"...Has the Nature Conservancy been approached concerning protection for these
areas?"

 The Nature Conservancy is very active in Maine. A couple of years ago they
 bought an area larger than Baxter State Park (200,000 acres or so) for many
 millions of dollars -- ten or 15 million or something like that if my memory is
 correct.

 But we are dealing with the future of 10-15 million acres, much has already
 changed hands, much more is on the market. Initially, the sellers were willing
 to wait until public and private agencies raised money. Suddenly, "kingdom"
 buyers have emerged. The potential profits are enormous. The guy cited in the
 AP story bought 2300 acres and a few months later sold 10 percent of it for
 almost what he paid for the whole lot.

 This is the largest unbroken forest in the East -- the most beautiful and
 productive unbroken forest in North America.

  No non profits have emerged with the resources to do more than Nature
  Conservancy has done,-- to nibble away a few valuable acres along the
  edges.

  A truly monumental opportunity to preserve some of the best of the Maine
  wildlands is quickly disappearing -- with almost no one paying attention. As I
  said in a previous post, the fight continues. But the chance of significant
  success dims daily. Realistically, only the federal government has the
  resources to make a significant purchase, quickly enough, I suspect.

    Weary