[at-l] More on the Maine Woods

>Weary wrote
>The Nature Conservancy is very active in Maine. A couple of years ago they
>ought an area larger than Baxter State Park (200,000 acres or so) for many
>millions of dollars -- ten or 15 million or something like that if
>my memory is
>correct.

I must confess a great deal of ignorance to the world northeast of
Cleveland, but I seem to recall hearing about a rich woman (Possibly a
cosmetics business?) buying land around Baxter with the intent of giving the
land to the Government to make the Baxter + area a National Park.

I recall that she was using personal funds, but the state officials and
senators/ congress people were opposed to the idea.

Do you know anything about this?  Is it (if real) related?

Thanks Weary, for you continued diligence and commitment

-r