[at-l] Waterproofing a hammock?

I am not sure how a nylon hammock should absorb water. I have a
original version Hennessey Hammock to complement my Nomad. I have not
slept in it in weather below 60 degrees yet, have been out in rain, and
have not had much trouble other than locating sites free of poison ivy.

My suspicion is that you will want to invest in a larger tarp to cover
the hammock, perhaps even as you erect the hammock. That is very easy
with the Hennessey, as the tarp can remain attached to the main line
and be wrapped around the hammock.

By guying out the sides of the Hennessey and sleeping diagonally in the
hammock, you can lie quite straight and flat. The tarp is easily
adjusted to increase ventilation or provide more rain protection, just
not very adjustable once you are inside. An open Mayan hammock would
cure such a problem, but would be likely to have more heat loss for
much cool weather use. Do you use a mattress pad or auto-windshield sun
shield for warmth?

Bill...