Re[2]: [at-l] Was: Introduction, Now: Welcome!

Actually there are no off limit subjects as such -- albeit our list owner
has asked us to refrain from bashing the other list & its owner.

It is just that, from time to time, some folk move out of the norm of
camaraderie that we enjoy around our virtual campfire.

Some time back Rhymin' Worm (the author of _On the Beaten Path_ and an
editor for the ATC, by the way) proposed the following pledge:

When I post on AT-L:

* I will post practical advice about backpacking, hiking, and the A.T.
* I will post my feelings and thoughts about those subjects and topics
closely related to them.
* I will chat about fun stuff, when I feel like it.
* If I post about trail issues, it will be about my own feelings and
opinions, and not about the views and comments of others, even those who
insult me and characterize my own postings.
* If attacked I will not reply.
* When I read something I disagree with, I will not respond by quoting other
listers or arguing with them in back-and-forth postings.
* I will try to keep the tone of my posts good-humored and
non-argumentative.
<<

A goodly number of us have taken "The Pledge."  Were we all to abide by it
there would be little problem.  However, humans are humans and from time to
time ....  Well you get the idea.

However, what I hope you don't get is the idea that just because some
member(s) might respond in a way that damages our sense of camaraderie, that
there are therefore verboten topics.  There is inappropriate and
unappreciated behavior, true.  But if one follows "The Pledge" raising, or
discussing, a hot topic won't make one inappropriate or unappreciated, as a
list member.

Chainsaw