[at-l] Pack list for feedback - Conquering your fears.

In a message dated 10/6/01 4:24:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ronm@fallingwater.com writes:

<< Personally, I don't believe there is a right or wrong gear list. I'm
 frequent astonished with what people carry and get away with....

 Add the contents of the four major groups in your pack and divide
 by 4. ie  (pack +  shelter +  sleeping  + clothes) / 4. >>

Right on Ron!  I don't carry anything I don't need, and what I need is
refined by considerable experience.  But one of the things I "need" is a
little extra padding on those rocky stealth camps.  That's why my list is
different than my son's.

Let me add one thing to Ron's comment:  Every time we can use one item to
cover multiple needs, we gain a "zero ounces" item in one of his four groups.
 For instance, hiking poles are zero-weight tent poles.  A poncho can be a
zero-weight tarp-tent.  A fleece layer, worn at night, can reduce your need
for a heavier sleeping bag.

Want to carry this a little further?  A two-liter coke bottle makes a very
lightweight water bottle.  But, half-empty, it also makes a good pillow.  And
your water isn't frozen in the morning!  Okay, this can get ridiculous.  But
the idea is to carry no more than we need -- not want, but need.