  From: Ronald Moak [mailto:ronm@fallingwater.com]
  Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2001 7:04 PM
  To: 'JPF'; ATL
  Subject: RE: [at-l] Pack list for feedback - Conquering your fears.

  Joel writes >> Thanks for an informative and helpful response. I truly am
here to learn, so
  I really appreciate your thoughts and the book and article references,
which
  I will look at. Your assumption, however, is incorrect. While I have had
  juggle trail time with years of education, a successful career, and family
  over the last thirty-five years, I do have a couple of miles under my
belt. <<

  You're right Joel. It's sometimes difficult to pick-up someone's
experience from a few comments sprinkled in a post. Like others I keyed off
the "I love my tent and pack" comment.

  One thing I've found, is that the key to success to a thru-hike is in
being flexible, ie never say never. We are after all hiking with the idea of
getting ourselves from one end of the trail to the other. Whether or not
some particular item of gear makes it all the way should depend upon how
well it works. I've lots of gear I love but would never consider carrying it
more than a few miles.

  You're also right that the weight of the gear you carry is less important
to a successful thru-hike than attitude. However, that said gear weight can
and does significantly effect how people feel about their hike on a daily
basis. In your hike, you'll be surprised how often it's discussed.

  Personally, I don't believe there is a right or wrong gear list. I'm
frequent astonished with what people carry and get away with.

  That said, there are a number of steps you can take that will lighten your
pack, reduce your burden, without any reduction in either safety or comfort.
I'd only recommend going ultralight to those really seeking new challenges
and experiences. Carrying a lightweight pack merely increases your comfort
during those long hours of hiking.

  You can use the following equation to calculate where your pack and
contents fit on the scale of pack weights. Add the contents of the four
major groups in your pack and divide by 4. ie  (pack +  shelter +  sleeping
+ clothes)  / 4.  Make sure with the pack weight to include all stuff sacks
etc. With the shelter make sure you're adding any ground cloth, extra stakes
etc. With sleeping system add liners, bag, pads, etc. Then add all your
clothes (except those worn during normal hiking).

  Average weight 5 lbs or more = normal to heavy weight pack.
  Average weight 3 lbs +- 8oz = lightweight pack.
  Average weight 1.5 lbs +- 8oz = ultralight pack.

  The above calculations will help start the process of reducing gear. It
deals with the four major areas that comprise most of the weight in the
pack. It doesn't cover items like cooking, personal gear etc. Often pounds
of weight can be shed in those areas also. Unlike some on this list. I
personally start thinking about shedding pounds first. It's much easier to
change 2 or 3 pieces of gear and shed 4 or 5 pounds than to deal with 10
items to save 3/4 of a pound.

  I would recommend that you try at least to get down into the lightweight
category. I can't say I've ever met a distance hiker that's made that switch
and regretted it.

  Also just a minor correction. ALDHA publishes the Companion. I'm president
of ALDHA-West. Don't worry if it's confusing. It's confusing to us too. It's
just one of those legacies of when Ray Jardine was running the organization
and named it.

  Good luck on your venture.

  Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
  www.fallingwater.com