[at-l] AT-L Dehydrator Recommendations?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Leitschuh [mailto:janl2@mindspring.com]
Then, in ZipLocks?
How long do such things last in "shelf storage"? (Do I need then store
in freezer to avoid bugs or spoilage?)
Jan
***************************
I have stuff I dried over 2 years ago and just ate it a couple days ago.
Mom's spaghetti sauce was yummy.  I use the vacumn seal bags cuz they last
longer, are more airtight - keep mold / mildew out better etc than the
ziplocks.  if you want to keep it for a long while, you need something
better than a ziplock.  If its a short time - just a few weeks etc, the
ziplock would probably be fine.  I tended to put stuff in the ziplock right
out of the dryer and into the freezer for a few days just to kill somemore
little friends in case they were there.  then, pull from the freezer to vac
seal.  From then on I usually just leave it at room temperature.  If its
something i'm a little doubtful about, then it stays in the freezer.

I've also vac sealed some stuff in baby bottle liners.  works great - but
you usually don't get the vacumn action, just a good seal and they are
better than a ziploc.  I've also got some veggies from my first drying /
sealing attempts that are in bottle liners and they still seem ok and i've
been using them.  the vacum stuff lasts much longer tho.

There are uses for a vac sealer outside hiking as well.  My parents
neighbors use their to seal fresh fish and freeze.  keeps better and longer
they say.  I use mine for bulk hamburger & other meats in the freezer etc.
It does seem to keep better than foil & other types of wraps and you can
wash & re-use the vac seal pouches.

Paula