[at-l] Need input as to winter hiking the AT

----- Original Message -----
From: t. <tjfort@netdoor.com>
To: <Slyatpct@aol.com>
Cc: <AT-L@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Need input as to winter hiking the AT

SNIP

>   You don't hear about this much. every one worries about the
> winter deer hunters.  I've never heard anyone discuss the spring
> hunters.
SNIP

I'd say there are three reasons I worry more about deer hunters:

1)  There are IMHO many more ill informed, marginally skilled, hormone
driven, etc deer hunters than turkey hunters.  For some reason, the hunting
slob factor goes up big time during deer season.  Everyone thinks they know
how to hunt deer.  Etc.

2)  Even if #1 wasn't true, the sheer number of hunters in the woods, shots
taken, etc has to be 100, or maybe 1000, fold higher during deer season.
One reason is that it requires a great deal more skill to turkey hunt.

3)  Even if #1 & #2 weren't true, many States have an either sex season (or
some version of hunters choice) for deer, where as spring turkey tends to be
gobbler, only.  So, target identification is much more inherent in the
spring sport.

Chainsaw (Who has been a hunter every since my Grand took me squirrel
hunting in the fall of '48 and turkey hunting the following spring.  I
wasn't allowed to wing shoot until I was 12, or to deer hunt until I was 16.
The old boy didn't want me shooting at something until I was sure of my
target ID and sure of my background.  I think he was on to something.  If
deer stamps were limited to only those who had a couple of spring turkey
under their belt, there'd be a lot fewer accidents; OTOH we'd all be overrun
by deer.)