[at-l] Thanks ever so much, and some of my thoughts

"Stephen C. Gay" wrote:

> - Maine to Georgia could be a good idea, I've just never thought of it. As crazy as it sounds I would like to do it the "traditional" way South to North if possible. I still need to think about this some more.
> - Winter in Georgia is a great time barring another blizzard like 1993. I would hate to have been on the AT on Friday the 13th, March 1993. Other than these 50 year storms I love the season. And yet, I know I haven't experienced it from the summits of North Georgia for days at a time. Whole nother ballgame I guess.
> - We need to hike frequently this fall and winter, in all sorts of weather. This will give an idea of what to expect.

Welp, I can comment, with some experience, on these three things. First, a southbound hike is a wonderful thing. I'm not sure that I'd use the word 'traditional' in reference to a northbound. Second, the most beautiful day I ever spent in Georgia was that 8º January 5th on Springer. The second most beautiful day was a drizzly March evening on Brasstown Bald. God, what a day that was. (I know it wasn't winter, or hike related...but, God what a day that was.) And, you'll never know what to expect except  (hey, same letters in a
different order) what comes next.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98