[at-l] Trip Report, green-out

A couple of weekends ago, I managed to escape for a short backpacking trip.
I hadn't intended to post a trip report as it wasn't anywhere near the AT.
I've sort of changed my mind… I've noticed non-AT trip reports are
acceptable and besides, I was trying out some gear I learned about on this
list!

Anyway, I was headed for Zaleski State Forest here in Ohio, one of the 2
backpacking trails in the state. I was on the road by 5:15. Less than a
minute later, I had a near miss with a dear. In that slow-motion accident
scene vision, I saw the dear bolt in the same direction I had swerved. Very
close call! Also, within 2 hours of my departure, I had what I wished would
have been a near miss with a state trooper. You know that feeling of elation
you get as you drive into dawn and the light is just breaking? It makes your
foot a bit heavy...

Anyway, the part of my trip I wanted to share with the list is one of those
experiences I'm sure others have had, but it was a first for me. I'd imagine
anyone who lives in a northern climate has either experienced, or can relate
to, white-out conditions due to a snow storm. Well this experience could be
best described as a green-out.

The trail was winding through one of the many hollows formed by the
retreating glaciers. It was quite pretty, lush vegetation, low light level
and surrounded by steep ridges. It was damp and cool. The trail rounded the
end of a ridge and I was suddenly hit by a wall of green. The trail
disappeared along with any concept of depth perception. Every shade of green
was represented from intense bright light to the darkest shadows. I stood
frozen for a minute. It was mesmerizing, almost hallucinogenic. There were
no distinct shapes, no distances, just this shimmering green curtain all
around. I don't recall any sound. Then that little mileage demon in my head
made me take a couple of steps. I blinked, found focus, and the moment was
gone. It was still pretty but the intensity of the moment was gone. :(  I
spent the rest of the day wishing I had just stayed still longer. If I were
a poet or some kind of wordsmith, I might be able to impart just how
beautiful it was.

We have no mountains with scenic vistas around here, the rewards of your
hike are of a different variety. The water routes had created some nice,
tucked away gorges. A few cliffs, caves, the forest itself… you take what
you can get. The Zaleski backpack trail was very diverse both in the
landscape and condition of the trail. There were several steep ups and downs
but they were thankfully short. I do recall having the thought "Don't look
up, its too depressing" during the one extended climb. There was a nice long
walk through a plantation as well as several bind pushes through dense
overgrowth. Little or no trace of the trail there. I could have used a few
blazes but there was nothing to put them on. With all the hollows the trail
winds through, there were plenty of water crossings. A common thought I had
on the trail was "I bet they're going to make me cross that." I was right
more often than I wanted to be.

As far as gear, this was my first trip with an esbit stove. I like it! It is
light & easy to use. Boils water just fine. My canister stove was removed
during a little tuckering at the trailhead. The gas canister, however, came
with me all 23 miles. I also used the Princeton Tec pulsar LED light (Photon
knock off). The pulsar addressed the only complaint I've seen about the
photon. It uses a snap together design while the photon uses those tiny
screws. Looks field serviceable to me!

The only other point of interest on my trip was that it was my first solo
backpacking trip. You definitely hear and see more when you're not chatting
the whole way. It was nice. I got to hike MY hike, rest when I wanted, push
on when I wanted. It was a pretty safe place to hike solo, never much more
than a mile from a road. The trail is a series of 3 loops and quite popular
so you're bound to run into someone eventually. The only time I was the
least bit uncomfortable is when I caught up to a group of guys hiking. We
talked for a bit and I noticed one of them was missing a front tooth. Didn't
think much of it until I noticed his buddy was missing the same tooth. I
started hearing dueling banjos and thoughts of Deliverance came to mind. I
made good time on the next couple of miles!

Mark