[at-l] My LT hike

Hi,

  I hiked almost 100 miles in the mountains and wilderness of the LT in
Vermont.   Then, coming down a steep section into Wallingford, VT my right
knee gave way and I limped along the steep section for quite a  way
-perhaps a mile.   I got a ride by walking down to an intersection at a
dirt road below the trail head near Wallingford.  After trying to hitch in
either direction for 45 minutes [of course, I didn't realize that folks had
the terrorist tragedy on their minds,]  a lady by the name of Tammy stopped
at a stop sign where I asked for a ride into town, after explaining I was
injured.  Turned out she was heading for Rutland, VT and she took me to
Sheila's Aunt Mary's house in Rutland where I stayed overnight, after
giving her 10$ for the ride.

I'm home in Lyndon, now.  I had a doctors appointment this morning to have
it looked at.  I have a torn meniscus.  I will undergo an MRI in the days
ahead, and at the least, I'm looking at 4-6 weeks of physical therapy.  I
can't speculate what will happen from there.  I'm pretty bummed out.  I was
getting stronger each day and the uphills were no problems.   My daily
patterns/routines were down pat and efficient.  My food and stove and all
my gear was functioning perfectly.  I hiked a wonderful all day Tuesday
without seeing a soul.  It was a great day.  But the downhill approaching
Bear Mountain near Wallingford, even though I was careful, got me.   And
then, the news of terrorism was even worse than my trivial injury ...  I
wish we could turn the clock back to Monday.  marty

"...the music of the songs I love is found in the open air."
	From a Danish children's song.

Martin R. Fors.