[at-l] Ready's Journal : Sept 9 TD 88

You can write to Ready    readyhiker@pocketmail.com

It was in the middle of the night as I watched my husband
typing away on his pocketmail device - editing his journal, maybe?
For the first time, it really hit me: I need to be seriously
considering going a "two-year plan." This was a sad and
disturbing insight. My immediate goal will have to be
getting my mind wrapped around and OK about this.
Taking planning one step further, this hike can actually
be on a multi-year plan. The leggenback problems I'd
experienced, combined with the realization that I don't want
to hike past Thanksgiving, have made it impossible to
complete it as a "single-season" thruhike.
Each of the segments I've missed in the northern section,
I'd hiked at some point or other, dating back to the 70's.
Little did I know then, that I'd embarked on a "section hike!"
I  can make up the southern end of the trail this year, or any
year, for that matter. This hike will likely be a massive
section hike, one of about 1300 miles or so. Not too tacky! :-)
I fell asleep again feeling like I had a plan.
We awakened to the alarm at 4:30 AM. It was still dark out
but we were determined to get an early start so that we could
  be in Stratton early enough to enjoy being in town. It was
becoming light enough to hike without our photons by the
time we were all packed up. We headed out onto the trail,
climbing up Spaulding Mtn with the moon still aglow overhead.
We reached the eastward-facing ridge while the sun was
still an orange orb low in the sky, casting near-horizontal
rays into the forest. The whole area was bathed in a beautiful
golden light.
We stopped to admire a bronze plaque honoring the CCC for
their work in completing this section of trail. There would be
lots of rock work in evidence over the next several miles.
As I hiked, a bird flew across the trail in front of me and landed
on a branch just to the side of the treadway. I looked carefully -
a small, less than 7" tall, owl! I think it was a juvenile barred owl!
Just as I had my camera out, telescoped and focused correctly,
it flew off. What a shame not to have captured its image on film,
but I will always recall it. It was such a sweet looking thing!
As we crested Spaulding Mtn, we could hear but not see the
Carrabassett River as it cascaded down into the gully below us.
We followed alongside it for a long time before it finally came
into sight of the trail, only 5 minutes or so before the trail crossed it.
The descent off Spaulding was difficult at times, but not too
difficult. The duff underfoot was thick and comfortable, providing
lots of good traction - and lots of flies! In fact, the flies had been
plaguing us since we left camp. So annoying!
We met Charming Bear and Bucky, southbound section hikers,
as we descended. What a delightful pair! It would have been
nice to chat longer, but we had miles to walk, and so we hiked on.
Next we passed a local out on a dayhike. He informed us that
we would likely see record-high temperatures today. It was
already plenty hot out, and it was still midmorning! 86*F in the shade!
Other hikers to pass us this morning were WildRose and BlueJay,
who'd stayed at the ski hut atop Sugarloaf Mtn, and
Beefcake and Jimmy the Fish, who'd camped near us last night
at Spaulding Lean-to.
I hiked slowly this morning, partially to wait for Spur as he paused
for various reasons, and partially due to a blue mood I was experiencing.
Spur had told me that, during each of his previous hikes, he'd
experienced a mix of sadness and elation about completing the hikes.
Perhaps, beyond the obvious disappointment of scaled down planning,
this was what was happening for me?
The climbs up Croker South and North peaks were really tough ones!
The "up" just kept going. The heat and humidity made it all the more
difficult.
We have always been leery of the descents, as they are typically what
cause my leg to hut. Today's descent was over 5 miles long! Surprisingly,
  it went well. I hiked strong and fast all the way down. Not once did I
experience so much as a hint of pain!
We maintained an almost 3-mile-per-hour pace! My new trailname
should be "Socks!" That pair of socks tucked into my hipbelt was a
huge success!
We reached the road at 1:30 PM and crossed over to start our hitch
attempt into town. I raised my thumb as we reached the other side
of the road, and sure enough, the very first vehicle to come by slowed
and picked us up. We rode in back of Mike's pick-up truck, the cool
breeze in our hair and on our faces!
We got a room for the night at the White Wolf Inn. Our first order of
business was to shower -- and to drink a quart of Gaterade, each!
Then it was time for Spur to open his packages.
His mom had sent a lovely card. His brother and girlfriend had sent
cupcakes, frosting, a birthday candle and matches - all the fixin's
for a do-it-yourself birthday party! My mom had assembled and sent
a goodie bag, too - carrot cupcakes (complete with candles!), and
a bunch of snacks. Yum!
My mother is showing herself to be a premier Hiker Support person
Spur had showered first, then I did. When I came out of the
bathroom, I found Spur lying on the bed fast asleep!
We ate a late lunch at the Inn. Folks, I have to recommend this
place -- tasty food, huge portions, more-than- reasonable prices
and friendly, helpful wait staff!
Laundry, journaling and more eating - Ben & Jerry's ice cream and
fine chocolates! For the first time since we began this hike together,
we watched a movie. -- one of the "Back to the Future" series.
By the time the credits were rolling, I was asleep. A great day!

multipart/mixed
---