public/private mail....Re: e: [at-l] perspective

--- Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com> wrote:
> k wrote:
> > I'm assuming he mistakenly thought it was and that's why he shared a
> > private post list wide.  ...I think it's an awful breech of trust ...
>
> I agree. Please ask permission first if something is thought worth
> sharing. Then abide by the author's wishes.
> Thanks, Jan in NC

### Sorry, ladies, but this is garbage that gives license for someone to
behave badly to you in private under the guise that it was not for public
broadcast. This misplaced ethic is no older than the internet. Let's
remember a much older ethic: when you send me a letter, and I open it up
and make to read it, that letter is now *mine* to do with what I want.
You've no rights on what I do with that letter *ever*, *at* *all*. You
can't tell me what to do with it, to whom I show it, where I publish it,
nothing.

This public vis private communications distinction that has grown up with
the internet is patently false, and abiding by it endorses bad behavior by
those who'd never think of doing such things through snail mail. Abiding
by it *is* bad behavior.

Don't say anything in private you're not willing to say in public. Try the
backspace key instead.

Sloetoe

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!