[at-l] LNT And The AT

In a message dated 9/6/01 3:34:23 PM, rbenhameda@home.com writes:

<< If your assertion is correct, that people need to feel "mastery" over
something which manifests as flagrant disregard of "city etiquette" while in
the woods, is there a way to turn that need for mastery into stewardship
rather than destruction (or defacement)?  To frame the question more clearly;
Is there a way to instill a level of pride or mastery into the "citified
folk" which manifests as care for the woods rather than disregard? >>

    I have found showing up and cleaning up trash with a direct plea for
their help in not littering better than doing nothing. I simply explained
what the AT was and how out of staters were coming through and that this was
one of the worst trashed out spots on the Trail. I'm sure many have heard the
shocked expression "you hiked for 5 MONTHS?! and know it by heart. Sometimes
that gets their sympathy and cooperation. It could be a change in times, but
I did notice a slight improvement afterwards. I have carried many a garbage
bag of trash out from Fingerboard in my day and get an inner feeling of
accomplishment for the AT from it.  I have also been left sweet little notes
by the trashers at the shelter with a deliberate, conspicuous huge garbage
pile strewn about asking me who the hell I thought I was - you "self
righteous %#&^%$" etc.. So, it is always a struggle.

    The best way is enlisting them to not leave trash so the AT hikers coming
through have a better experience. (Try to explain the whole AT shebang to
them. Some are awed) In the end, I think it is the fact that they actually
see someone who cares out there trying to keep the place clean that makes
them think twice.

    If you really become dedicated, you can join a club and become a monitor
or maintainer. In this case you can legitimately threaten to report them as a
member. This is almost never necessary as most who venture out into the woods
can be informed in a conversational manner. Oh yeah, I told them that litter
was a headache handled by volunteers for no pay and that it took away from
more needed projects. I also once had a beer guy help me build a small bridge
after talking to him about what we did.

    There are some who will trash under any circumstances. Best to bag it and
feel pride that you aren't one of them. I try and refrain from doing it in
front of them because it will reinforce that they needn't worry because
someone else will clean up after them.