[at-l] ice axes

I have a Grivel Air Tech Race that I bought just for winter travel. It is 80
cm, way longer than a technical axe, but I have used it for technical
climbing on ice once, and I can guarantee the head did not break off <G>. It
works very well in deep snow and has served as everything from a tent stake
to a self arrest device (practice only!).

Mine does not have a non slip grip, but I understand the newer models do.
Either way I depended upon the leash while climbing, not the grip. Make
certain that you get someone to show you how to self arrest and glissade
properly if you don't already know how. Learning by yourself can be an
expensive experience.

Lee I Joe