[at-l] stealing

I would not challenge Weary about Maine's practice.  However, my experience
in the mid-Atlantic area has been mixed -- some shelter registers are placed
by Clubs, some by individuals.  In the shelter which I maintain, I leave
whatever book is serving as the current shelter register until it is near
full.  Then, I replace it with a new notebook which includes the Club's
address and a request to mail it to the club when full.  Some times in the
height of the season, I'll leave the old one there for a couple of week
(unless it disappears in the meantime) to allow the trail grapevine to work.
If the book I remove has a "send to address," I do.  Weary, what would you
do, were you to check a MATC shelter and find a notebook with a "please send
to address" rather than the "official" MATC shelter register?

I would, also,  like to know what the ATC take is on this question. [Hey
Worm???]

BTW -- I also know that they get stolen, defaced, used as fire starters,
etc.  I suspect that also happens in Maine.

Earlier, someone responded about what their mother had taught them, which
was good morals and ethics.  I agree with them.  However, I have had an
experience with the law and an insurance company about some of my property
that was "not properly secured" and know that the obligation to return
"found" property can take some strange twist, under the law.  It was the
"illegal" issue that caught my attention, in the first place.

I suspect that even the most ethical of us would find this issue somewhat
"situational."  Someone, who would never take anything from a shelter, or
campsite; might well react differently if they were to spy a $5 bill on a
busy city sidewalk.

Chainsaw