Re[2]: [at-l] stealing

"Weary, what would you
do, were you to check a MATC shelter and find a notebook with a "please send
to address" rather than the "official" MATC shelter register?"

What we do, compared with what we are supposed to do, is not always the same thing. I've left
registers in shelters with a note to send them to me when full. No one ever did. Then I discovered
that the policy in Maine, at least, is for registers to be owned by MATC.

Our maintainers are told -- or are supposed to be told -- to remove everything left in a shelter
that is not placed there by MATC.

So I would remove the offending register and replace it with an official register. But I probably
would not do it until the season ends because I know how hikers depend on information in registers for
communication.

That's also why whoever was taking the registers a couple of years ago in Maine and New Hampshire and
perhaps elsewhere should be condemned. Registers serve a useful purpose for other hikers and as
feedback to the maintaining clubs. Whoever took the registers was performing an unethical act either
through greed, ignorance, dishonesty or maybe all three.

Weary