[at-l] civilization junk

In a message dated 8/7/2001 8:42:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> "... If you don't want to be
> bothered by all that civilization junk, just keep walking. "
>
> Unfortunately, it is not that simple. Some seek the trail to gain a sense
> of wildness. The knowledge
> that directions to civilization, pizzas, a ride, whatever ... is available
> by simply opening a book, or asking your shelter mates
> mate to borrow their cell phone, destroys that sense of wildness. I don't
> expect many to understand this.
> But it is a fact. Let's expand the concept of "leave no trace" to not
> leaving psychic intrusions either.
>
> Will this happen? No. Almost no one has any idea what I'm talking about.
> But I'll probably keep
> talking anyway in hopes of finding an occasional kindred soul to
> commiserate with.

To All

I have walked many miles in what many might consider backwoods or wilderness
and also more than 5000 hiking trail miles. Anyone hiking the AT and
expecting to find only other hikers with the same expectations as their own
is in for a rude awakening.
If anyone is looking for a solitary or truly wilderness experience they must
go beyond where the crowds hike. Think about hiking in one of the following:
The Brooks Range;
The Torngats;
The Groulx;
or follow Nomad to the Chic Chocs or the Longs.

I guess my point is, if one doesn't like what they find on the AT they should
try somewhere else. There are many more mountains.

The Old RidgeRunner

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---