[at-l] (Guest Post) "so called"

> So...places like The Red Barn or the White House
> Landing or Laurel Creek Lodge aren't supposed to be
> putting signs up ahead of the turn-off to their place?
> How are northbound hikers supposed to know, say, when
> to turn right off the Trail to reach The White House
> Landing in the middle of the 100 Mile Wilderness?

Read the trail guides! I don't know MATCs policies on authorising side
trails but in my section, our local management guide allows some side trails
to the AT to be blazed with our permission and approval up the line. Any
trails that just appear will be obliterated. So if MATC allows it and is
willing to get the appropriate permissions, it should be possible for the
White House Landing to blaze a trail (say pink, purple or red) to their
place. I would not suggest using blue as that is sort of reserved for side
trails to views, water, lean-tos, etc. (more official trails maintained by
the local club). Every section of the the trail has a local management guide
that describes the local clubs policies (which must comply with NPS, USFS
and ATC policies - but may be stricter or choose one of several options,
e.g. offset or inline turn blazes.) These local policies must be approved by
both NPS and ATC so clubs can't do anything they want to.

> The whole thing is absurd. Can't or won't be enforced
> anyhow. I sure do hate to see the ATC chest puff about
> something like this and waste any resources toward it.

The resources are being "wasted" to get something closer to what you want,
the ability of thru-hikers to find some services. Without an ATC policy and
some negotiation with the agencies the default policy is NO advertising.
Many on the ATC board would be happy with no policy and just enforce the NO
advertising rules so it is up to the hikers to come up with creative
solutions that are acceptible.

The advertising policies will be (and have been) enforced by removal of
offending material by the maintainer as part of their mandate to pick up
litter.