[at-l] Newbie Intro

Mark Lambert said:
>My three biggest obstacles (poor choice of words) are my
> wife and 2 daughters. Can I really leave them behind for 6 months? My
> youngest is 3 now and will turn 5 while I plan to be on the trail. Is
> this too unfair for her (or the others)?

Mark,

First the disclaimer.  I have not yet hiked end to end.  I am not a 2000
miler.  However, that being said, I do have some experience in leaving
wife/kids for extended periods of time.

Years ago, in the early part of my career when my children were small, I
would ship out for months at a time.  I was often required to be absent for
3 months, 7 months, and one time 13 months without being able see them or
talk to them.  It was probably harder on me - missing their first words,
their first steps, their dance recitals, losing their first tooth, etc.,
than it was on them.  (I don't want to get maudlin here.  I'm just trying to
give you my bona fides.)

Anyhow, suffice it to say, as long as your wife is supportive, strong and
independent - they will not only survive but they will thrive.  And, in
time, they will understand and forgive you.  It is up to you to decide
whether the other side of the equation balances out.  Is the hike so
important to you that you are willing to miss out on those milestones in
their lives?

I am certain you will receive tons of comment to your question but only you
can provide the "from the gut" answers.

Al (Draggin' Anchor) - - who is now trying to reconcile my anticipated thru
hike with milestone events in my grandchildren's lives.