[at-l] Newbie Intro

Nina Baxley wrote:
> Hi Mark, and welcome to the list! You'll get lots of
> good information, as well and encouragement and plenty
> of laughs here!

Wow, a celebrity encounter! That's kind of how it feels anyway considering
yours was the first trail journal I read. Very impressive and inspirational!
Thank you. (But you didn't help in the rational thought process... fuel to the
fire...)

<snip>
> And I, too, have a personal raincloud! One reason my
> trail name was Waterfall was because I made water fall
> from the sky!
Hmmm... I seem to recall something about a failed stream crossing as the
origin of Waterfall... I might have to recheck that journal!

<snip>
> ... it would be a great idea to
> have your wife and daughters meet up with you at
> numerous points on the trail
This was one of the ideas that will help make the trip possible. My family is
also the reason why I may become another incomplete statistic. And thats OK
with me! I will then become a section hiker. It may take a few years but I
WILL complete the trail. And, if this happens, perhaps my girls will go with
me when they are a bit older. I hope to complete a thru-hike, but the time
away from my family will be hard on all of us.
Someone's journal I read mentioned getting off the trail after he learned what
he needed to about himself and went home to his family. I can respect that.

<snip>
> your daughters seem to have an affinity for hiking.
An affinity for the outdoors, yes. Hiking? That would require putting one foot
in front of the other... We're still working on that.

Mark