[at-l] Spouses who hike together/do singles want hikersfor partners?

At 02:06 PM 8/1/01 -0400, Linda Benschop wrote:
>     I am wondering how many folks on the list here enjoy hiking with their
>spouse/significant other.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to contribute to this one, but reading all the
replies got the gears turning a bit. It's one of those real YMMV
question/answer situations.

And to be honest, I don't know what the answer is, so I'll spew out some
attempted factoids.

If you meet someone who's reasonably compatible to your hiking interests
when you're younger, there can be a tendency to get into a
joined-at-the-hip situation.  If there's hiking, then we both have to go
hiking.  Ten or twenty years down the road, that kind of thinking --
presuming that you still have the same interests -- can be a factor in the
breakup.  (I know...)

Marriage?  When you're "younger", there's often the family thing that
factors in, as Paul M noted.  I didn't say that having kids is either good
or bad -- depends on the couple.  It is bad if the breakup occurs after
there are kids.  So what has this to do with hiking, etc?  Probably
nothing.  It's a separate dimension in your personal life.  Have to decide
the relative priorities for yourself, I guess.

I could ramble on about other marriage/relationship issues, but I won't.  I
think there's a strength that develops from being a single person.  If I
get back into doing a walk of significant duration, I'll probably plan on
doing it alone, without having to apologize or argue with someone about
priorities.  Important not to get too bright-eyed and idealistic in this
area, thinks I...

The Wizard!  A gleam in his eye, a bounce in his step!