[at-l] What I did on my summer vacation... (long)

>From: DaRedhead@aol.com
>
>... another lister recently hiked w/ them (The barefoot sisters,
>Isis and Jackrabbit) and Tubaman - maybe eventually she'll post a TRIP
>REPORT???? ;-)

Umm, that would be me...  :-)  and here's the trip report...  It's not all
hiking but it's almost all thruhiker/lister related in one way or another.

Let's see...  I think that's another 22 AT miles for me and about 25 LT
miles.  I think I've got just 50 LT miles to go...

Enjoy...

Mara
Stitches, AT99, LT 97-01? 02? (anyone want to guess?  ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What I did on my summer vacation…

It started a little bit early – on Thursday – when I went down to Wareham,
MA to have dinner with Yak and Yo.  They’re the couple I hiked with in
Maine.  If you have to be stranded for a few days with a couple of people, I
was glad to be stranded with them.  Anyway, it was good to see them and meet
some of Yo’s family.

On Friday, after work, I got a phone call from PapaBear, a section hiker I
had met on Springer in 1999.  He’s on track to finish the AT next year and
called to say ‘hi’ and get some gear advice.

On Saturday, I went up to VT to go to Trail Trotter and Whittler’s baby
shower.  I had also met Trail Trotter and Whittler on Springer in 1999.  We
had hiked hundreds of miles together on and off along the trail.  They
completed their thruhike a couple of weeks after I did.  They are expecting
their first child any day now.  It was great to see them and see the baby’s
first hiking boots and fleece.  :-)  I was also glad to be able to pass
along greetings from PapaBear.

On Sunday, I stopped for breakfast in Connecticut with family that lives in
the area and then made my way to New York.  I stopped at the RPH shelter on
my way to the Bear Mountain Inn but there were no hikers there at midday.
Then, I finished the drive to Bear Mountain and drove up to the tower to
kill some time and work some trail magic.  When I drove back down the
mountain, I was expecting to park so that I could meet Tubaman as planned at
2:00.  The two of us were going to track down Isis and Jackrabbit.  Imagine
my surprise when I found the parking lots closed.  It was an incredibly hot,
beautiful day and it seemed half of New York had decided to go picnic at the
Bear Mountain Inn.  They were turning people away and sending them to
Tiorati State Park.

Explaining the situation, I was finally directed to go park in the 20 minute
parking.  When I had walked thru the Bear Mountain area two years earlier –
almost to the day, I don’t think I counted more than 20 people.  On this
day, there were probably 2000 or more in the area.  But, after I finally
parked around 2:30, I quickly saw a thruhiker who directed me to a hiker
feed that Bookworm and Chef were putting on.  Just a few minutes later,
Tubaman also walks up having been forced to park further away and then walk
into the park.

Tubaman had gotten email saying that the Barefoot sisters were going to be a
day late so we decided to hang out for a little while so Tubaman could gave
a little concert, and make our way to Tiorati State Park.  We knew there was
camping near the trailhead and we could intercept the Barefoot Sisters when
they got there the next day.  On the way to Tiorati, we stopped by West
Point to see if a friend of Tubaman’s was there.  He wasn’t but we had
noticed “Free Concert” signs on the way in.  So, instead of going to
directly to Tiorati, we got a pizza and came back to West Point for the
free, open air, concert.

What a treat…  It was the U.S. Army Knights Jazz band and they were doing a
salute to Glenn Miller.  We watched, listened, Tubaman napped, and then
Tubaman and I even managed to get in a swing dance.  Can you believe it?  He
hikes, he plays tuba, and he SWING dances.  Cool!  After the concert, while
people were still milling around, Tubaman gave yet another little tuba
concert.

So, we finally make our way to Tiorati, park the car, and walk back to the
trail where we knew of some camping just a few hundred yards in from the
trailhead.  The weather was great so we just spread out a groundsheet and
crashed under the stars.  There were a bunch of other hikers already dead to
the world by the time we got there.

The next morning, we talked to the other hikers camped there and found out
that one of them thought Isis and Jackrabbit were north of there.  Argh!  We
had hoped to slackpack them for that section.  So, just to be sure, I took a
quick trip up a blue blaze to see if they had signed the register at
Fingerboard.  On the way up, I saw a 5’ black snake, a ribbon snake,
listened to an Eastern Towhee, and ate a few blueberries.  The register had
just been filled within a day or two but there were no notes from Isis and
Jackrabbit – even on the back cover which still had a bit of room.

Relying on the other hiker’s knowledge, we drove back to the Bear Mountain
area and not finding them at the Post Office, we drove up the first dirt
road crossing north of the bridge crossing.  Each time we tried to hike
south to go meet them, other hikers would be emerging from the south so we
would go back to the car and hand out some trail magic.  Among the other
hikers we saw were Rambunny and Seattle.  It was great to see Rambunny again
and know that she’s both looking great and feeling great.  Last year, when
she hiked the trail, she had a painful hip problem that plagued most of her
thruhike.  This time, she realized just how much more she was able to enjoy
the trail without the pain.

Before Rambunny and friends could get on their way, Isis and Jackrabbit
reached the trailhead.  It was great to see them.  They are much more
frequently now hiking in their sandals but this year.  They have a time
constraint and sandals allow them to hike more “normal” hiker miles.

We stashed their packs, piled into the car, and went to town for a quick
lunch.  Then Tubaman got his car back and we shuttled his car up the dirt
road and all drove up to Fahnstock State Park.  It was about 3:30 PM on a
hot, muggy day, when the four of us started a 16 mile slackpack back to
Tubaman’s car.  We found out later that the heat index had been over 100
that day and we hiked through the worst of the heat.

Tubaman caught up with us in short order after attempting to do some trail
magic by picking up a woman we had seen roadwalking with a full pack.  She
declined but he still had some work to do to catch up with us.  We continued
and took advantage of a spigot near a road crossing to dunk our heads, cool
off, and drink as much water as we possibly could.

Continuing on, Tubaman once again caught up after unsuccessfully
backtracking to find his t-shirt left behind during a break (he would later
recover it from some northbound hikers).  Then, at our last road crossing,
it looked like he would be catching up again.  He was making a phone call so
the three of us went ahead to tray to beat the rapidly falling darkness.
When it finally go to the point where lights were almost needed, we stopped
to wait for Tubaman, not knowing if he knew he had a light with him.  It was
on my keychain that he was carrying.

We waited, and waited, and waited some more.  Jackrabbit and Isis sang some
songs for me in beautiful harmony.  (What a treat.)  Now it was truly dark
and it occurred to us that it was possible Tubaman had hitched around.  So,
I turned on my yellow photon light (200 hours, right?) and left it hanging
where Tubaman couldn’t miss it if he got that far.

We quickly got back to the road to find Tubaman sleeping in his car.  He had
hitched around to the bridge and walked up from the other direction.

To make a longer story short, he brought me back to my car, I went back for
Jackrabbit and Isis, and we found our way to the RPH shelter.  By the time
we got there, it was after midnight.  The sisters scarfed some bread and
cheese and went to sleep.  I ate a Poptart, spread my stuff under the stars
for yet another beautiful night, and saw a few shooting stars before Tubaman
showed up with ice cream.  By then, everyone else was asleep so we shared
one pint and left the other in the cooler to melt by morning.

On Tuesday morning, we slacked the last 6.5 miles from Fahnstock to RPH
where Jackrabbit was hoping to have a friend, Aislinn, meet her but
wondering if her friend would find the place because the address she had was
for the caretaker’s place, not the shelter.  We were all really dehydrated
and not functioning at our best by the time we got back.  I filtered some
water, Tubaman got some lemonade from the car, and then he shuttled me so I
could get my car back.  By the time I returned, Isis had figured out where
the caretakers house was and an hour later than the planned meeting time
already, we raced up the hill to see if we could find Jackrabbit’s friend.
We found the house but there was no sign of Jackrabbit’s friend.  Isis was
discouraged but sat down to write a note to both the caretaker and the
friend.  Right then, a car pulls up.  Jackrabbit’s friend was running an
hour late, too.  Our timing could not have been better.

Back at the shelter, there’s yet another good reunion, another concert, and
then Tubaman and I had to hit the road.

We stopped for pizza near the route 52 AT crossing.  Jackrabbit, Isis, and
Aislinn pull up, too.  We ate fast, took a couple of hikers and backpacks
back up to the trail, and hit the road.

With Tubaman’s walkie-talkies, we are able to stay in touch on the road
while we drove north.  The plan was for Tubaman to help me shuttle my car so
I could do a three to four day Long Trail section.

But, by the time I got near Vermont, my right knee was in such pain from
driving (no cruise control in the car I was driving) that I had to stop for
a break.  Just inside Vermont, I found Tubaman but knew I couldn’t finish
the drive so I gave him back the walkie-talkie and said good-bye.  A few
phone calls later and I was meeting Mrs. Gorp at the Whistlestop Café and
then followed her back to her place for the night.  It was good to see
Larry, her husband, again and catch up with Cindy.  It made me feel like I
was thruhiking again.

The next morning, with my knee feeling much better, I left early to go meet
the Old Ridgerunner and Trailwife for breakfast at the Plum and Maine in
Johnson and then a shuttle back to Jonesville.  The shuttle was wonderful,
with a tour through Smuggler’s Notch and some of the local history that you
just don’t get when you’re “just” hiking.  I’m really glad I had the
opportunity to sit and have breakfast with them.

With reports of marginal water at Puffer shelter, I ended up stopping at
Buchanon shelter where a piped spring was running beautifully.  The shelter
itself was really nice with an open air porch, and an enclosed sleeping
area.  There were four people there who had hooked up while on the trail and
were end-to-ending together.  They were going northbound and had already
been on the trail for four weeks.

Two other men eventually joined us as well.

The next morning was a late one for me but I was still the first one up and
out.  I think others were stirring just as I was heading out around 8:00am.

I had a second breakfast at Puffer shelter.  I was finding that there were
plenty of “puddles” or slow moving streams to filter from but fewer
opportunities to find water when just using iodine as water treatment.

I stopped for lunch at the Tucker shelter at the Mansfield Trail.  And then
it was three miles of trail that I had been on before.  Just a bit seemed
familiar but since it had been pouring three years ago, most of what I had
remembered was slogging through mud and slipping on wet rocks.  Neither was
that much of an issue this time.  The tendon on the inside of my right ankle
was bothering me so I was going slower than expected and decided to stop for
the night at the new Butler shelter.

Since I had been there three years earlier, the top third of the shelter had
literally been jacked up and the bottom rebuilt under it.  The shelter was
now much higher, had steps going up to the entrance, and a wonderful porch
with a great bench had been added.

I remembered playing hours of cribbage inside the dank, dark shelter three
years earlier while waiting for the rain to let up so I could make it over
Mansfield.  The rain never let up and we ended up backtracking and skipping
the Mansfield section.  This time, the weather was great.  The view from the
new porch on Butler is phenomenal.  It goes straight out across Lake
Champlain to Mt. Marcy in the Adirondacks.

There were only two other women there in addition to the caretaker so we
were all able to spread out.

The next morning, I started out having dosed up on Ibuprofen.  I knew I
would be calling it quits once I got to Smuggler’s Notch.  There was no way
I could make it back to my car by Saturday morning.  Instead, I had an easy
climb up the forehead.  Once of the women caught me as we approached the
forehead summit station and we walked together to the Chin.  We hung out
there for a while and then headed down.  She got ahead of me almost
immediately and I didn’t expect to see here again.  I dropped my pack and
took a side trip up to the Adam’s Apple and then stopped at the Taft shelter
on the way down.  Met a few interesting people going up but then had to beat
my way past the crowds go up as I got lower on the mountain.

Imagine my surprise when that woman and her friend were waiting for me at
the trailhead when I finished the section.  They were waiting to take me
back to my car.  How nice was that?  So, I got back to my car and headed for
Stowe to hit Pie in the Sky for AYCE pizza.

On the way there, I noticed my car running hot.  I though maybe the traffic
was the culprit but after lunch, it got hot almost immediately.  I pulled
into a service station with a NAPA store – still in Stowe – only to discover
that my radiator was leaking.  The guy at the store makes a couple of phone
calls and we find a repair shop willing to look at it.  We add water to the
radiator and I limped to the repair shop.

There, they wanted to install a new, $350 radiator into a car that’s only
worth $500.  I declined, and was about to junk the car and take the train
home when someone mentioned a used radiator.  One call later and I’ve got a
radiator lined up for the next morning and this shop ready to do the repair
as soon as I bring the car and used radiator in.

For some reason, I had tossed a hostel guide into my car before I left and I
quickly located a hostel in Stowe so I even had nearby lodging.  Cool!

The next morning, I drove my leaking car nearly 30 miles only to find out
that the radiator was the wrong one.  Argh!  But, since I made it that far
and the car wasn’t overheating, I decided to try to make it to Boston.  I
made sure I had water in the car (another use for a 4 liter Dromedary bag)
for when I needed a refill.  With the heater blowing, I made it all the way
back to Boston without having to refill the radiator.  Cool!

I had needed to get home because I had visitors coming from Georgia.  So I
got home in plenty of time to meet them.  I also arrived home to find a
message on my answering machine from Orren, (MEGA 2000) who was going to be
pulling into Boston on a boat that same day.  Sure enough, he called that
night.

Turns out he hadn’t hiked since his thruhike (kind of hard to find mountains
when you're working on a 100' yacht) and he would love to join my friends
and me for our planned Monadnock hike on Sunday.  I borrowed my sister’s car
and the four of us met for breakfast at Johnny D’s, a great Davis Sq.
establishment.  Then we had a wonderful climb up Mt. Monadnock.  There, as
usual, I saw a few people I knew.  One of whom was a former Brooks employee
who had heard some scuttlebutt while I was on vacation.  With the current
economy, I was now going back to work knowing that I would be having a pay
cut.  Argh!  But, it’s better than being laid off so I wasn’t going to worry
about it while I was with friends.  We had great Tibetan food for dinner and
Toscanini’s ice cream for dessert.

Orren ended up crashing at my place that night, too.  Once again, Mara’s
Hiker Hostel was open for business.  :-)

Dropped Orren off the next morning at the T station and made my way to work
to find out the fullest extent of the news…

Once I got to work, I found out the group I’m in was earmarked to lose one
person.  Rather than fire one of use, we all agreed to work just a four day
work week.  So, I now have a lot more free time – and a lot less money
coming in.  I’ll have to see if I like this new lifestyle.  Can’t wait for
all the three day weekends though…  :-)

Anyone want to go hiking?