[at-l] Franconia Ridge

Did a day hike with my Daughter Darcy and her co-worker Ellen on Saturday
7/28/01.  Darcy asked me to take them hiking because Ellen has never been on
any kind of a challenging hike.  We hiked up Falling Waters Trail to the
Little Haystack intersection with the AT.  Then we walked north on the AT to
Mt Lafayette.   And finally Down on the Greenleaf Trail and Old Bridle Path.
We stopped for lunch on Little Haystack.  Took a break on Mt Lincoln and took
a longer break on Lafayette.  We stopped at the Greenleaf Hut AMC to use the
facilities.  I purchased two lemonades there.  We med several south bounders
who all started in early to mid June.  One gentleman was carrying a 70 lb
pack.  Not knowing any better he tried to take his pack to the summit of
Katahdin but was rebuffed by a park ranger who persuaded him to hike his pack
off the trail before he finished his climb.  He told us it only took him 4.5
hours to hike the one mile through Mahoosuc Notch and that Mahoosuc Arm
caught him totally by surprise.
    We went into North Woodstock for a lobster dinner at the Chalet.  Mrs.
Gorp, Hoops,  and Pittsburgh visited this dinning spot with me and Darcy two
years ago.
    It was a perfect day for a hike with great views and weather.

                                                Art