[at-l] I appreciate any and all advice....:)

First, welcome to our little group.  Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Second, as a side note...ever notice the most basic questions are the
hardest to answer? :-)

How much money you want to take depends on the kind of hike you plan on
having. Are you going to due the budget hike and stay mainly in campgrounds
when in town and generally avoid towns for the most part? Are you hiking B&B
to B&B ?  Most people opt for a hike somewhere in the middle. The old adage
of the trail costing a dollar a mile is at least a a decade old. Today, the
average thru-hike costs $1.25 to $1.50 mile. The average thru-hike costs
$2500-$3000, not including gear.

Physical conditioning? Blind people have done the trail, people with MS have
done it on crutches,  old people, young people, etc..etc. I think mental
conditioing is the most important component. That being said, the person in
'average condition' can do the trail in 6 months.  Of course, the better
shape you are in at the start of the trail, the easier you will find the
first six weeks. After six weeks, most people are in great physical shape.
Again, the mental conditioning (always an ambigious concept) is what I think
is most important.

April is the traditional month to start, with many others starting in March
or May for a northbound hike.   The trail will be 'crowded' for the most
part then, but crowded compared to what? Thirty people at a shelter is
crowded...I remember the beaches growing up on ahot summer day...now that
was crowded!

Finally, I suggest you check out the thru-hiking papers by AT-L's Jim Owen.
Jim, hope you don't mind me posting the link, but the advice in the
thru-hiking papers should be read by any person thinking of thru-hiking a
long trail.  The link is: http://trailwise.circumtech.com/thruhikingpapers/.

Best of luck...and happy trails!

http://trailwise.circumtech.com/thruhikingpapers/